Friday, January 14, 2005

Oedipus

The reason I was in the north of England (see below) is that I took a Classics degree at The University of Leeds

Classics is a beautiful subject. The Greeks were first with so many of the intellectual, philosophical, artistic and even scientific things that we take for granted today. I'm very precious about it.

My favourite piece of literature from the period is Sophocles' Oedipus Tyrannus written around 425bce. It gives great insight into the concept of hubris; don't mess with the gods, if they will something to happen it's going to happen no matter what you do. Consequently this depresses the crap out of me. (Thanks g_m)

If I was forced to find one positive thing to say about it, I admire the way he got Lou Gehrig in. I wrote an essay on Plato's Republic once and managed to include Th@tcher, Tottenham Hotspur and the miners' strike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home