Tuesday, January 25, 2005

You're a WHAT??

I was in the RAF years ago, made a man of me and all that. My full trade was Aircraft Engineering Technician (Airframes/ Propulsion). The use of the word ‘Technician’ was crucial, indicating I had been through an extensive training programme; it differentiated me from mere ‘mechanics’ much lower down the food chain. The fact I was duel trade (Airframes/Propulsion) further indicated that I’d completed a 3 year apprenticeship before I was allowed on a front line aircraft. So the word Technician has a very specific meaning in my mind. It is connected with a deep knowledge and understanding of the subject matter.
There is a tanning/beauty salon next door to my office. This afternoon an A4 poster has gone up in the window saying;

Wanted

Nail Technician


What the ….. Nail Technician? Nail TECHNICIAN? What the chuff does one of them do? Have fingernails got some complex fuel management system of which I am unaware? Are there plenum chambers? Afterburners?

I’m sure being a ‘nail technician’ brings its own challenges. One must have to spend at least an entire afternoon training in the use of nail files, buffing boards, paint and polish, and I'm sure they all take their jobs very seriously. But does it merit the title technician? Really?

Phylos wept.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home