Tuesday, February 08, 2005

We’ll call it a draw then

I wasn’t planning on mentioning last weekend’s Six Nations, purely because England lost and I’m still not happy. I’m not an expert on English club rugby, but I can’t believe Steve Thompson is the best hooker in the country. His line out throwing was bad during the World Cup, but on Saturday it sank to a new depth. But then I was sent this. A Welsh rugby fan cut off his own testicles to celebrate Wales beating England at rugby. (thanks Mr Pie)

What a splendidly hilarious way to celebrate victory. What will he cut off if Wales win again? Hypothetically of course.

As the sport ball is rolling so to speak, hurrah to Ellen MacArthur, who crossed the line at 10.29 last night to become the fastest person ever to sail single-handed around this big blue/green planet of ours. I grew up on the Isle of Wight so perhaps I should know a bit more about sailing than I actually do, but in truth I don’t know a bilge pump from a bosun’s chair. I do know about sleep though, and according to the BBC she hasn’t slept for more than an hour in one stretch for the whole 71 days. That’s just crazy. I can’t even begin to imagine the horror. Incidentally, I went to school with Mark her project manager, although when I bumped into him with a mutual friend last summer I’m not entirely convinced he remembered me.

And a final sporting comment today, I hope that everyone who watched Match of the Day on Saturday was suitably awed by the natural footballing genius that is Mido. Two goals on debut, and an audacious back-heel when a yard off the ground are new treasured memories. The Lane salutes you.

1 Comments:

Blogger phylos said...

Turned out to be an idle cunt though didn't he

5:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home