Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Jesus saves, but Defoe scores on the rebound

I’m posting this only because (and I think there must be some sort of celestial alignment) Tony Bliar has said something I agree with. He has stated that religion should not play a role in British politics.
Hurrah.
Religion plays no meaningful part in my life and Britain is becoming an increasingly secular society. Fewer than 1.2 million people will go to a C of E church this week. A greater number will attend a professional football match with many more going to non-league matches. Yet who have seats in the House of Lords, the Football Association or the Church of England? Who feels it has the right to speak up on any matter and expects us to listen solemnly? OK bad example, but the point is that based on popularity, the FA has more right to speak on my behalf than the C of E. I don’t want the FA speaking up for me because they are a bunch of dead brain hypocrites. Allegedly. I have no axe to grind with religion, really none at all. I respect all faiths equally and I ignore all faiths equally. Your religion is no more important to me than your skin colour or bank balance. It’s private and it’s your business. And my business is my business. It would be nice if the C of E and other religions listened to Tony but I doubt they will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home