Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Not funny

I ignored this story about the BBC’s recent poll to find the funniest sitcom ever as, with the greatest respect to you my dear readers whose opinions I cherish, the vast majority of people I come across know cr@p all. By cr@p all I mean of course that their opinions differ from mine, but let’s not split hairs.

Take for example, Channel 4’s recent poll to find the 100 greatest cartoons of all time. Please, somebody tell me on what parallel universe is The Lion King 59 places better than Captain Pugwash? And where’s Bagpuss? I am pleased that South Park was third, doubtlessly annoying many, many people and Family Guy is a pleasantly surprising 5th but it hardly makes up for the total exclusion of Bagpuss does it?

So it was with a heavy heart I clicked the top ten sitcom link and was suitably depressed if not at all surprised. Friends according to my fellow citizens is funnier than Blackadder, funnier than Monty Pythons Flying Circus and funnier than Porridge. (Also funnier than Little Britain and Father Ted, but I’ll exclude them from my rant due to their relative lack of longevity.) Lord give me strength. These same people will be voting in a general election soon, deciding the government!!! Friends was funny for a season and a half. That’s it people. Watch it again and you’ll see I’m right. I gave the last couple of series a fair chance - they’re repeated endlessly on satellite TV and it don’t get any funnier. Friends, sadly became a formulaic, predictable money train. It is some consolation that if the same survey is done in 20 years time, and it will be, Monty Python, Blackadder and Porridge will still be there. I hope Friends will be relegated to the position it deserves.

I need a pint now. Quiz night at the Royal Stag. If you’re in the area pop by and say hello. I’ll be the angry looking bald bloke at the bar surrounded by countless pints of London Pride. And lovely blonde ladies.

One of those statements is true.

7 Comments:

Blogger monkey fooker said...

Spot on chap. American sitcoms make me vomit. They have never had Steptoe or Dads army to chew on. I have always found this country quite strange in its love of American comedy. That said Taxi and Cheers were not too bad but hardly Monty python. Bagpuss, now theres a thought. The mouseorgan for god sake, its a classic! By the way, good taste in beer that man. Not keen on blondes myself though, I favour the gothic type. (well I am Welsh!)

1:11 am  
Blogger phylos said...

Taxi is massively under-rated. Andy Kaufman's Latka is an absolute comic masterpiece. Genius.

12:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only ever saw a few episodes of Taxi as I was only little when it was on TV and it has never been repeated. Can you get ti on DVD yet?
Adding to the Friends thing, Has anyone had the miss-fortune to watch Joey yet....?
DON'T my skin crawled for the entire helf hour show. I had to keep watching to make sure it really was that bad and that I had enough ammunition to use when I next get caught in a pub with some 20something girls!

I'm single and in my late 20's I shouldn't be made to argue with younger members of the fairer sex because of a poorly constructed cash cow vehicle for a 3rd rate, one trick actor!
If anyone from Al Quaeeda is reading, leave the citizens of America alone and destroy the TV companies instead!

5:07 pm  
Blogger phylos said...

Yup, I can confirm Taxi is available on DVD - Amazon have it.

8:49 pm  
Blogger monkey fooker said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:24 am  
Blogger monkey fooker said...

All I can say about Joey is: Flogging a dead horse. Vote with your fingers. Turn off the tv!

1:24 am  
Blogger phylos said...

And read a book!!!!

8:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home