Monday, April 18, 2005

None of the above

Had the radio on this afternoon, listening to the phone-in on Radio 5. Inevitably they have been discussing the election and the amount of apathy out there is staggering.

One repeated wish was for a ‘None of the Above’ box on the ballot slip, so that an individual could register his or her displeasure with the entire corrupt system. This isn’t an original idea of course, it was central to the film Brewster’s Millions and I believe a chap set up a None of the Above party at the last election but failed to achieve any national recognition.

The simple fact is that you can register your displeasure. It’s easy.

When you go into the voting booth, you have your slip and a pencil. All you need to do write underneath the bottom candidate

“None of the Above”

Then draw a little box under the other boxes and tick it. Easy isn’t it. Of course it won’t count and it will be recorded as a ‘spoiled paper’, but the number of spoiled papers is declared at each count. If one or two of us do it no one will notice but if enough of us do, someone in power might just notice. Wouldn’t it be marvellous if at every constituency there were a couple of thousand spoiled papers? The parties pay huge attention to how people vote. Minority parties will influence policy if enough people register support for them. If plenty of us registered our distrust of the status quo, our contempt for the ‘system’ it may change. We can hope and what is life without hope?

So please, spread the word. Tell people that they can vote ‘None of the Above’. Let’s mess with the system to our advantage.

On a similar theme try this. Every time I’ve voted in a general election I have asked a question of the election officials. You will notice that ballot slips are torn out of a book similar to a cheque book. Like a cheque book, each voting slip has a unique number printed on it which is also printed on the counterfoil that is left behind. Your voter number will be copied from your card or the electoral roll onto the counterfoil. Secret ballot? Don’t make me laugh. Just ask why. As I say, I have done this at every general election in which I have voted and have never received a straight answer. Often a policeman will stroll over and say “Everything OK here?” One flustered election official said to me “I’m not sure why we do it, but it certainly isn’t so that we can check how people vote.” I hadn’t accused them of that so it was an interesting reply. I have no doubt at all that in the past when people have voted for a communist candidate, or a fascist candidate in the 30’s the slips were matched to names. That it could still be happening without any obvious reason is a surely a concern?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been doing you proud my friend!! My new collection of "first time voter" mates are all appalled by the counterfoil system and all plan to query BIG TIME this when they vote - watch out York electoral officials!! I've also warned them about the losers that hang around outside trying to get an entry/exit poll - tell them to sod off as well!! The amount of protocol and voting procedure i have had to explain over the past few weeks is disgusting. I have had perfectly intellegent 20 year olds asking "what exactly do you do when you vote?!" They then look surprised when I tell them that all you do is stick an X in a box!!! What in the name of arse are they teaching at school??!! Bollocks to Algebra & trig, teach the kids useful stuff like voting, taxation and how to pay their credit cards on time...the world would be a better place instantly!!! Sorry for ranting slightly off topic...do a bit on "the youth of today" so I can really go off on one...

3:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and I'll be voting Lib Dem...only ones honest enough to raise taxation properly and for those who will be able to afford it!! Mine and the boy's Council Tax drops by £300 per year under their rules....and I earn £25k per year, hurrah!!! They are also in posession of the only leader of ANY party that doesn't make me wanna hurl my dinner at the TV...I know he's ginger but you can't have everything!!

3:40 pm  
Blogger phylos said...

Thank you for your support!
Remember to spread the 'none of the above' idea to the cynics. I'm sure you know a few of them.
px

4:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home