Thursday, May 26, 2005

First Test

One swallow means nothing. It is the first test match of a new season which heralds the real start of summer. Even if we are only playing Bangladesh. I'm surely not the only person has a little skip in their step on the first day of a new series? Tradition being all in cricket, I have on my old TCCB tie which I have worn on the first day of every test match for longer than I care to remember.

Bangladesh are 130/1 to win this test and that's probably realistic. England should win by an innings and 130 runs. You just have to hope no one gets injured prior to the Ashes later in the summer. With the bank holiday on Monday I almost hope this test goes the full 5 days. I finish work at 12 tomorrow and can't think of a better way of spending 3 and a half days than laying on the lawn with a bottle of Valpolicella listening to Test Match Special. It's what summers were made for.

Shouldn't really talk about sport without saying something about Liverpool. Three nil down at half-time, champions of Europe an hour later. I'm old enough to remember the great Liverpool side of '78 to 84 which won 4 European Cups so I have a deal of respect for Liverpool. It was a great match and a perfect illustration of why football makes the world go round.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home