Saturday, May 21, 2005

Please, Channel 4, not again

The teasers began a week or so ago and the full trailers started last night. With a truly depressing inevitability, next Friday sees the start of Big Brother 6. I really don't want to sound like a cultural snob (I am though, so that's how it comes out) but Channel 4 execs should have a good think about the phrase "best before" and realise that it doesn't just apply to groceries.

Ratings for reality TV shows have been in decline for a while now. ITVs lamentable Celebrity Love Island not only redefines the term 'celebrity' but has haemorrhaged viewers since its launch earlier this week after being described by one reviewer as a brilliant advertisement for the superior worth of radio. Reality TV is dead. No flowers please.

And you know what saddens me the most? When the music starts at 9 next Friday night who will be watching? I will. Who will then do all he can to ignore it? I will. Who will be hooked by week 8 (once all the biggest tossers have gone)? I will. Pray for my soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home