Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Starter for 10...

Questions from mysfit over at I am following my fish.

1) Who's your #1 hero of all time?
That's a tough one. In my humble opinion, to be a real hero the person has to be someone you not only look up to and admire but also a genuine inspiration for life. That rules out many of the people who initially leapt into my mind. For example, Glenn Hoddle is a hero. He is the most gifted footballer I have ever seen. Not as flashy as Gazza, not as prolific in front of goal as Clive Allen, just effortless quality. Any young footballer should study him. But I'm not a young footballer. Ian Botham, Mike Brearley, Cruyff, Ali, James Hunt, Bjorn Borg all get ruled out for the same reason.

What about writers? I adore Oscar Wilde. I love his work, I admire (though think it foolish) the way he stood up for himself and faced a trial when he was given every opportunity to run to France, but that isn't, I think quite enough. I don't aspire to be a playwright or a novelist (don't have the discipline) so Oscar is ruled out. As are Homer, Aristophanes etc.

The one name I kept bouncing back to is Bill Hicks. Bill cut the crap. He called it as he saw it. He admitted his own faults and celebrated them. There was no bullshit, no messing, just - this is how it is, this is how it should be. Bill Hicks is my hero.

2) If you where a cookie, what type of cookie would you be?
The sort or raw cookie that's in Ben & Jerry's Cookie Dough ice cream.

3) What's your dream job?
Appropriate as I'm looking to change jobs again at the moment. At present I work in financial services and as Morrissey said "It pays my way, but it corrodes my soul." But I change what I want to do almost as often as I change my socks. The one thing I keep coming back to is a paramedic. By the time I'm 40 (only a fraction over 2 years now) I want at least to be doing a job that inspires me, that makes me feel I'm making a difference. You can't do it sitting in an office. I'll say paramedic.

4) What is the "Reason" you are here?
By here can I take it you mean the blogosphere? I sit and watch the news every day and see a procession of mediocrity running the planet - and badly may I say. It pisses me off. One or two people who come here will attest to my annoying habit of shouting obscenities at the TV all evening. I'd love to get involved in politics but 2 things hold me back. One is my complete disgust for the existing system with its corruption, nepotism and self serving bureaucracy. The second is my own lack of self confidence. (A third would be the career path - local politics, national politics, junior minister, senior minister etc.. Bollocks to that. I want to be president of the world NOW.) I think I have something to say and a half decent way of saying it. So I sit here and rant as a release.

5) Would you rather be famous or a legend?
Easy. A legend. I don't really subscribe to the cult of celebrity. There are enough non entities filling the tabloid press with their shallow, empty 'indiscretions'. I like my anonymity.

Here's how it works...

The Official Interview Game Rules:
1. If you want to participate, leave a comment below saying "interview me."
2. I will respond by asking you five questions - each person's will be different.
3. You will update your journal/blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview others in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

3 Comments:

Blogger phylos said...

There's a hint in them there answers - i'll be 38 on 19/6. My Amazon wishlist has been updated!! Link to the right ->

10:13 pm  
Blogger mysfit said...

:)

thanks for playing - i hope you enjoyed answering the questions as much as i enjoyed coming up with them - by #4 I meant nothing in particular, but i liked your answer quite a bit - ranting is the reason i exist, i think

4:36 pm  
Blogger phylos said...

It was cool. Top questions.

5:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home