Monday, June 13, 2005

First Blood

Had I been blogging when 20/20 cricket started a couple of seasons ago, I would have been very sniffy about it. I'm a confirmed lover of the long game, noble warriors in white battling it out over 5 days.

But the first international 20/20 match in England has just finished down at Hampshire's Rose Bowl. England v Australia. The old enemy. And we murdered them.

England 179/8, 20 overs
Australia 79, all out 14.3 overs

As an ex-Yorkshire member I've seen a lot of Darren Gough, but I've never seen him so fired up as he was this evening. It was personal. He won. We won.

Donald Bradman, Richie Benaud, David Boon, Alan Border, Dennis Lillee, Rodney Marsh, Donald Bradman, Donald Bradman, can you hear me?

Your boys took a hell of a beating.

I just hope I'm not made to eat these words come July & August.


Gough & Flintoff

1 Comments:

Blogger phylos said...

I've included David Boon in the roll of shame there not just because he was an exceptional opening bat, but because he holds the record. The record. Back in the days when a game of cricket was a warm up for a night out, the Australians used to have a challenge as to who could drink the most beer on the flight from Australia to England. David Boon drank 52 cans. Fifty two. And it looks like his record will remain unbeaten.
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cricket/story/0,10069,1489082,00.html

The Phylotopian salutes you.

10:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home