Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Sledging

Sledging is the term used to describe the banter which takes place between players on the cricket pitch. The Australians refined and perfected the art back in the 80's and their current team of gobshites are already warming up for the Ashes. They'll get it back though, Matt Hoggard has already started with a few gentle looseners and I can't see Flintoff keeping his mouth shut for too long.

Here are some classics from past years. (thanks to Pieman)

Rod Marsh & Ian Botham
When Botham took guard in an Ashes match, Marsh welcomed him to the wicket with the immortal words:
"So how's your wife and my kids?"

Glenn McGrath, bowling to Zimbabwean Eddo Brandes:
"Hey Eddo, why are you so fucking fat?"
"Because every time I fuck your wife, she gives me a biscuit"

Robin Smith & Merv Hughes:
During 1989 Lords Test, Hughes said to Smith after he played & missed:
"You can't fucking bat".
Smith to Hughes after he smacked him to the boundary:
"Hey Merv, we make a fine pair. I can't fucking bat & you can't fucking bowl."

Merv Hughes & Javed Miandad:
During 1991 Adelaide Test, Javed called Merv a fat bus conductor. A few balls later Merv dismissed Javed:
"Tickets please" Merv called out as he ran past the departing batsman.

When Arjuna Ranatunga called for a runner on a particularly hot night during a one dayer in Sydney, Ian Healy's legendary comment was picked up by the Channel 9 microphones and broadcast live:
"You don't get a runner for being an overweight, unfit fat c*nt!!!"

James Ormond had just come out to bat on an ashes tour and was greeted by Mark Waugh;
“Fuck me, look who it is. Mate, what are you doing out here, there's no way you're good enough to play for England"
"Maybe not, but at least I'm the best player in my family"
(Mark Waugh's brother Steve also played test cricket for Australia)

McGrath to Ramnaresh Sarwan:
"So what does Brian Lara's dick taste like?"
Sarwan: "I don't know. Ask your wife."
McGrath (losing it): "If you ever fucking mention my wife again, I'll fucking rip your fucking throat out."

Mark Waugh standing at second slip, the new player (Adam Parore) comes to the crease playing and missing the first ball.
"Ohh, I remember you from a couple years ago in Australia. You were shit then, you're fucking useless now".
Parore (turning around) "Yeah, that's me and I remember you were going out with that old, ugly slut, now I hear you've married her. You dumb c*nt".

Ravi Shastri & the Aussie 12th man (don't remember who and don't want to slander anyone) Shastri hits it to this guy and looks for a single...the guy gets the ball in and says
"If you leave the crease I’ll break your fucking head"
Shastri: "If you could bat as well as you can talk you wouldn't be the 12th man"

Fred Trueman bowling. The batsman edges and the ball goes to first slip and right between Raman Subba Row's legs. Fred doesn't say a word. At the end of the over, Row ambles past Trueman and apologises sheepishly.
"Sorry Fred, I should've kept my legs together".
"So should your mother" he replied.

An English county bowler to Somerset's legendary West Indian captain Viv Richards after beating his bat several times in one over:
"Hey Viv, it's red and it's round."
Sir Viv’s response after he hit the next ball out of the ground?
"You know what it looks like - go fetch it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home