Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Thought of the day

I hope I shall keep this diary more regularly up than hitherto. Should everyone keep a record of his daily acts and sentiments, the history of the world would be made out in a way that no historian could distort however illiberal or enthusiastic in his nature. However stupid a man might be could he be persuaded to set down what he thought or did, something would accrue from it. To judge by myself however many would have day after day to record blank. I have trouble to remember if it is one or two days that I have omitted to fill in. I can remember yesterday but not the one before. I know them both to have been idle ones. A loathing of my vacation has seized me. I must rest. Work, work, work for ever muddles a man's brain and mine at times is none the clearest.

Ford Maddox Brown. August 1854.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home