Tuesday, October 04, 2005

And it's good night from him

As no doubt all the papers will say tomorrow morning.

Comedy legend Ronnie Barker dies

British TV comedy actor Ronnie Barker, who starred in Porridge and The Two Ronnies, has died aged 76.

I loved Ronnie. I think many people of my generation did. We grew up with The Two Ronnies, a new series every autumn endlessly repeated, the Xmas specials which annoyingly in the age before video often clashed with the Morcambe and Wise Christmas Show. But my dad loved them also, as did my grandparents. No doubt, if I had any, my children would also be fans. Their first words could have been "Four candles" (doesn't work when it's written down does it). People forget what a great writer Ronnie also was. When I bought his book All I Ever Wrote a few years ago I was astonished at his output. Think of any great name in British comedy over the last 50 years and chances are Ronnie wrote for them.

Ronnie was also one of the few people in that business called show who actually retired properly. He wasn't tempted back for one offs or specials. He'd earned his rest. Then, after maybe the BAFTA tribute I think he got a feeling of how loved and missed he was. So after a dozen years away from our TV screens there was a magnificent return in A Gathering Storm, where he played Churchill's butler. Earlier this year he got back in a studio with Mr Corbett for a 'best of' which, I hope introduced a new generation to their perfectly crafted comedy.

So thank you Ronnie. Thank you for making me laugh for such a long time. It is a precious gift. You'll be missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home