Monday, October 24, 2005

The customer is always a pain in the ass

I'm still not back online at home. It's a shambles...

Tuesday

Call to BT Technical Helpdesk.

Hello BT. You told me that my line would be down for half an hour, it has now been 6 hours – what’s going on?

Your system is working according to my information.

Well, my modem is lit up certainly, but I cannot get online.

Can you ... we spend 10 minutes changing settings, uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting………

Mmmm, I think the fault is at the exchange. It will take us 3 days to check.

3 days!! That’s rubbish.

Sorry sir.

Well, I have no choice do I?

No sir. We need to look into this.


Call to BT Customer Service, 20 minutes later

Retold the above... What sort of service do you call this? No one knows what is happening.

Sorry sir. Your job is shown as closed. Everything must be working.

But it isn’t. You don’t know what you’re doing.

Let me speak to the technical desk.

hold music

Mr Day? I’ve spoken to the technical line they say things will be sorted by Friday.

They told me that. It is very poor though, certainly not the half an hour downtime I was led to believe was normal. I’m not paying anything yet am I? I’m not paying for this shambles.

I’ll make a note of that.


Friday

BT Technical Helpdesk

Hello BT. You told me I’d be back on line today but I still cannot access anything. What’s going on?

Let me run a check. Everything is fine according to my system.

I keep getting told this, but I cannot get online.

Let me run another check. Is your DSL light on?

Yes.

Is it flashing or solid?

Solid.

Is it flashing now?

Yes.

I think you have a dodgy modem. We’ll send you a new one but it might take a week.

A week!! I was told it was the exchange and it would be sorted by today. I’ve already had no service for 4 days now you say another week. This is shitty.

Sorry sir but that’s how long it takes.

OK. Who do I complain to?

Call 0800…….. (should I be concerned that the technical helpdesk know the complaints number by heart?)


BT Customer Service (Saturday, after I requested a call-back on Friday that didn’t happen)

Retold the above tale of woe.

That’s very poor sir. Let me speak to the technical people to find out what is happening.

hold music

Mr Day? I’m not sure what to say. The helpdesk will only tell me that you are marked down for further investigations. They won’t speak to me beyond that.

That’s not good is it? One bit of BT refusing to talk to another bit of BT trying to assist an angry customer?

No sir. It isn’t good. I’m angry as well.

You’re not as angry as I am, let me assure you of that.

No sir. All I can do is apologise. The technical people have your number and are promising a call back by next Friday.

Friday? I’ll have been off line for 10 days then. You said half an hour. If I’d have known you were this rubbish I’d have stayed with Wanadoo. Their customer service was this crappy but at least they connected me. I’m not paying yet am I?

No sir. We won’t start billing you until you go online.

I think I should have the first month for free.

I’ll make a note of that.

What does that mean?

It means I’m making a note of that so that we can review the situation when you are connected and we review the matter.

I want a free month. Actually I just want to be connected. Is that too much to ask?

I can only apologise……

So I have apologies, but no service. I could weep.

6 Comments:

Blogger emilyahostutler said...

agghhhh!!! I have similar issues with the gas company..I feel for you!

3:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This calls for "Non Terrorist" actions.... dig up the remains of their loved ones and hold them to ransom!!!!!

5:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think i've still got the Sea Action flag in the garage. We could go chain ourselves to a phonebox as a protest against the capitalist technological state. Knowing our luck, we'd probably get urinated on by some piss-head and get carted off to Cuba to have our genitalia wired up to the national grid .... but it'd undoubtidly be far less painful than having to deal with the call centre morons!
If all else fails, you can borrow my old Sinclair zx80!

10:56 pm  
Blogger phylos said...

Thanks folks. I know in the great scheme of things it's only a small issue but it's the careless attitude of BT that annoys me.

Martin dude, so you have the Sea Action flag - that's a great flag. I thought Graham might still have it so was looking out for it on the demo a few weeks ago. I think i still have the Leeds University CND banner somewhere.

8:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BT disconnected our lines at work for non payment, despite being paid a month before. Not only that they didn't warn us, nor issue any sort of letter. Lo and behold, everything from the fax lines to the security "hotline" were all disconnected ! When we finally persuaded them that we'd paid, and asked them to reconnect us they told us it'd take anywhere between 10 minutes and 48 hrs. When our FD and Technical Director got on the line and started making threatening overtones to suing them etc the lines suddenly re-connected ! BT are a bunch of utter cunts.

5:25 pm  
Blogger phylos said...

All your base are belong to them

2:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home