Saturday, January 07, 2006

Ooops

Jet tank fell 'inches' from man

A cyclist said he thought he was going to die after an auxiliary fuel tank from an RAF Harrier jet fell and missed him by inches in Devon on Friday. A military investigation is now under way following the incident, which happened when the aircraft was on a routine training flight. The empty, 10ft-long metal tank landed on a grass verge near the A3124 road at Winkleigh, police said. The RAF Cottesmore aircraft made a safe emergency landing at RNAS Yeovilton.

Winkleigh resident Les Sprason said he escaped death by inches as the fuel tank spiralled over his head while he cycled along the country road. "I thought, well I am going to die because it is going to explode, and this is me finished," he said. "I was aware of a jet coming from my right-hand side at a very low altitude. I was aware something broke away from the aircraft and was spinning and somersaulting through the air," he said. He said the tank then impacted in a field with a "dull thud".

It wouldn't have happend in my day. Back then, we'd have got him.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In your day the plane would never have got there. You would have drunk the antifreeze!!;-)

5:16 pm  
Blogger Rebecca Tacosa Gray-Sterling Parker said...

And the crowd cheers for Martin!!!

You are wicked, wicked, wicked Phylos, m'dear...picking on a nice, sweet citizen you don't even know!

I'm calling Heartthrob Vendetta. He'll know how to handle you.

1:59 am  
Blogger phylos said...

*hic*

12:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home