Thursday, March 30, 2006

ID cards

In a move that will have surprised no one Charles Clarke, head of Minitrue today announced that ID cards would be made compulsory should Labour win the next election. Before the last election he skirted round the issue pretending that we would have some choice in the matter but there was never really any doubt. A voluntary ID card is no use to a fascist government.

I have argued against ID cards many times before and I’m not going to do it again today. Read my archives, got to NO2ID’s website, have a think about the matter yourself without giving any consideration to what the government or the spineless media have to say. Really, once you get into the habit of thinking for yourself you’ll find it very liberating. If you still think ID cards are a good idea then at least you’ll be able to argue the case in your own words rather than just repeating the dull “if you’ve done nothing wrong, you have nothing to fear” line. Bollocks; I have done nothing wrong so why the hell should I line up with everybody else and have my picture taken, my fingerprints recorded, my iris scanned? Why should I have to be treated like an object, like a possession by my own government? My own ‘democratic’ government? It’s not going to happen. I will not do it.

Now we know their plan, we must show them our plan, our fight back. Civil disobedience begins at home. Sign the pledge. 12,000 people have now sworn that they will not cooperate with the ID card system. One refusal makes a mockery of the whole system. 12,000 means that it cannot possibly work. Take the pledge seriously as well. Don’t umm and ahh when you get the letter ‘inviting’ you to your local police station for your classification interview (don't worry it's only a shower), don’t back down if threatened with a £2,500 fine. You haven’t got £2,500 laying around so you can’t pay it anyway. Are they going to jail 12,000 of us? Do they want 12,000 martyrs creating negative headline all round the world? Do they fuck.

Now write to your MP, your local papers, the national papers. Bring the subject up at work, challenge the people who agree with ID cards; the chances are they haven’t really though about the issues at all. Make it your mission to change minds.

What must be understood is that real power does not lay with the government. It never has, it never will. The real power is with us. Their laws only work because we agree to them, we agree to be governed accepting that sometimes there may be encroachments into our way of life for the sake of the greater good. But ID cards will do nothing to increase the greater good. They are simply a meaningless tool of a paranoid, fascistic state that has no trust in and no respect for its citizens.

Fight them.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The disaster that is the CSA, the DEFRA farm payments scheme, Inland Revenue Tax Credits, Millenium Dome, Wembley Stadium, Millienium Bridge etc makes me believe whole heartedly that the central database will be the biggest disaster this country has ever seen (after the 2012 Olympics, we'll fuck that up in a really special way!). We will plough billions into a privately managed project (read privately managed pockets) for the damn thing to be hacked the day after it opens. I have written to the Labour Party saying I will sign up to ID Cards when they can tell me how they plan to replace my fingerprints & iris after the hacker disrupts & corrupts my data...not like a new PIN number now is it!! Until then, I am bracing myself for a spell inside...it's the only way they'll get my fingerprints.

8:14 am  
Blogger Rebecca Tacosa Gray-Sterling Parker said...

It's really too bad that some governments feel that minute control of its citizens means better security. Of course one of the best messages is to stand up and boycott! It can be one of the most effective ways to let the one's government know that its citizens have a choice and they're not afraid to stand behind their core values. Isn't it a tragedy to see millions spent on solutions that don't work...what a shame.

3:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and now they are putting mobile scanners at Train Stations "to prevent people carrying knives on trains"...what utter utter bollocks, try "to see if you are carrying anything at all that you shouldn't be" along with sniffer dogs etc. I would rather risk being stabbed by a so called "feral hoodie" than give up one more part of my civil liberties to El Presidente Bliar..

9:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home