Friday, July 14, 2006

The Mower

The mower stalled, twice; kneeling, I found
A hedgehog jammed up against the blades,
Killed. It had been in the long grass.

I had seen it before, and even fed it, once.
Now I had mauled its unobtrusive world
Unmendably. Burial was no help:

Next morning I got up and it did not.
The first day after a death, the new absence
Is always the same; we should be careful

Of each other, we should be kind
While there is still time.

Philip Larkin

With the world seemingly on the brink of another war, with the governments of both the UK and the US mired in the stinking filth of corruption, sleaze, nepotism and incompetence, we - you and I, the people who have to take all this shit really should be kind. To those we love and especially to those we hate.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the trouble with the powers that be ... they equate kindness to ones enemy as a weakness... instead of the solution

7:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home