Thursday, December 08, 2005

More censorship

How the crap did I miss this story?

Complaints from religious campaigners have led to supermarkets withdrawing comedy DVDs from shelves.

I first moaned about Christian fundamentalism on my second day of blogging. I've returned to the subject once or twice or more and for one simple reason.

I am an evolved adult capable of making my own moral judgments. If I make a bad choice I accept the consequences but it will have been my choice. What I do not want is for narrow minded bigots with a very restricted view of life to make these decisions for me. I don't want them making any judgments on my behalf about what I can or cannot buy, what I can watch on my TV, who I can have sex with, what I drink, smoke - you all follow me right?

This is censorship and ALL censorship in wrong. I really do mean all. British historian David Irving is presently in jail in Austria charged with holocaust denial. Irving is a disgrace to the word historian. I despise what he says, I but support 100% his right to say it. If we go down the route of banning things because a few self appointed guardians of the 'truth' take offence then soon it will be illegal to say Blair lied to take us to war; you might go to prison for saying Bush is an idiot.

Fundamental Christians need to go back to their Bibles and read them again without any dogma obscuring the true message. Although now an atheist, I have just finished re-reading the New Testament along with the apocryphal gospels. I read them because I find them in many ways inspiring. I could almost be described as a Jesuit atheist if such a thing can be imagined! I think the message within the writings is one of tolerance and of understanding for people whose opinions do not match our own. Love is the key to a good life not hate. Christianity needs to be taken back from the Christians.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does this mean that if Sainbury's receive 10-20 complaints requesting it back they will flood the selves again? This has the promise of a game of shelf stacking table tennis. I'm on it.

7:59 pm  
Blogger phylos said...

Go joshie, go joshie!!

I'm going to write to Waterstones and insist they stop selling the Bible.

8:20 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, let's give the fundamentalist Christians some slack - they can be quite funny on occasions.

8:36 pm  
Blogger phylos said...

those reviews are genius!! They're so up their own arses.

9:34 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home